Who is liable for registration under GST?
- Any business whose turnover in a financial year exceeds – 20 lakhs . (In case of special category states it is 10 lakhs)
- 40 lakhs in case of exclusive supply of goods (effective from april 01, 2019) with some exceptions
Mandatory registration cases
- Inter state supply of goods irrespective of turnover
- Person engaged in inter-state supply of services with turnover of more than 20 lakhs(ten lakhs in case of special category states)
- Casual taxable person and non resident taxable person making taxable supply
- Persons who are required to pay tax under reverse charge
- Every electronic commerce operator
Who is casual taxable person and non resident taxable person
- Casual taxable person- a person who undertakes activities involving supply of goods or services or both occasionally in a state or union territory where he has no fixed place of business
- Non resident taxable person- When a non-resident occasionally supplies goods/services in a territory where GST applies, but he does not have a fixed place of business in India.